PORTLAND, Ore. – The Portland State women’s soccer team returns to Hillsboro Stadium this week for its final two home non-conference games of the season. The Vikings (1-3-2) will host Hawai’i (2-2) on Thursday, Sept. 8 at 1:05 p.m. and North Dakota (2-3-1) on Sunday, Sept. 11 at 11:05 a.m.
Admission is free for all fans. Both matches are scheduled to air on ESPN+. Thursday’s match against Hawai’i will also air locally on KRCW. To find The CW channel in your area, click here.
LAST TIME OUT
Last week, the Vikings opened the season’s first road trip with a strong showing at New Mexico on Thursday. The match ended in a 1-1 draw after Elle Frazier scored the equalizer for the Vikings in the 73rd minute, just a minute after the Lobos got on the board. PSU returned to action against New Mexico State on Saturday, falling 3-0 to the Aggies.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Portland State has totaled 51 shots, averaging 8.5 per game.
- 66 percent of PSU’s shots have occurred in the second half.
- The Viking’s 18 points this season ranks third in the Big Sky.
- Abi Hoffman and Emma Johnston lead the Vikings with nine shots each.
- With a team-high six points, Hoffman is one of just four players in the Big Sky to have three goals.
- Senior defender Hailey Green has clocked 540 minutes this season, playing 90 minutes in all six matches.
- Six freshmen have started at least one match so far this season.
- Freshmen forward Elle Frazier and defender Erin Marynik have started all six matches, clocking 483 minutes each, ranking second on the team.
- Frazier’s two goals rank second on the team. Her first collegiate goal came against UC Riverside (Aug. 25) before netting her second at New Mexico (Aug. 1).
- Freshmen forward Ocean Rideout has also played a key role in the Viking’s attack, netting her first career goal against Western Oregon on Aug. 21.
- Defensively, freshmen Leah Heugly and Kalo Iongi have combined for 720 minutes of action.
- Freshman midfielder Emma Johnston has seen 241 minutes on the field as she leads the team with nine shots.
In all six matches, goalkeepers Enya Hernandez and Sidney O’billovich have split time in goal for the Vikings. The two have faced 97 total shots, allowing 15 goals. Hernandez leads with 15 saves after tallying a season-best six saves against South Dakota last week.
PORTLAND STATE VS. HAWAI’I
Thursday, Sept. 8 | 1:05 p.m. | Hillsboro, Ore.
Live Stats | ESPN+ | KRCW
- The ‘Bows enter Thursday with a 2-2 record following a 1-0 loss to Portland on Sept. 4
- Following a 3-1 loss to Grand Canyon to open their 2022 campaign, Hawai’i earned wins over Seattle (2-1) and Nicholls State (1-0)
- Hawai’i averages 10.8 shots per game while allowing opponents an average of 13.8 shots per game
- Sophomore forward Krista Peterson leads the ‘Bows with two goals this season
- UH is led by Michele Nagamine in her 12th season at the helm
Overall: Tied, 2-2-1
Last Meeting: Sept. 4, 2015, at PSU (Vikings won, 1-0)
PORTLAND STATE VS. NORTH DAKOTA
Sunday, Sept. 11 | 11:05 a.m. | Hillsboro, Ore.
Live Stats | ESPN+
- North Dakota enters the week at 2-3-1 with losses in two of its last three matches
- Their two wins have come against Southern Indiana (1-0) and Jamestown (2-0)
- The Vikings will be UND’s second Big Sky opponent this season as they suffered a 4-0 loss to Northern Colorado on Aug. 25
- The Fighting Hawks will begin their trip to the Pacific Northwest on Friday against Eastern Washington
- UND’s attack averages 10.8 shots per game, while its defense has allowed an average of 14. 8 shots per game
- Six different players have scored a goal for the Fighting Hawks this season
- UND is led by sixth-year head coach Chris Logan
Overall: Portland State leads 5-1-0
Last Meeting: Oct. 20, 2017 at PSU (UND won, 1-0)